Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Wednesday story con't

I thanked him and as I was fumbling in my purse I glanced up. There by the beans, stood a tall man, with graceful, strong features, and he was staring at me. I had a moment of panic. I must have toilet paper on my foot or bird poo in my hair. I checked, no, everything was alright and that man was still looking. He did look familiar, charming, and familiar, and....it was Barney Bean. I quickly turned and ran. Perhaps he thought I looked through the curtains every night! I raced out the door around the corner and straight into a set of garbage cans. I went flying, cans went flying and the Scottish fish careened wildly into the air. I knew it, just as I was starting to pick the goopy plastic and banana off my coat, Barney Bean was standing right behind me. I took a deep breath in and turned around, pushing something stringy out of my hair and my eyes. Barney was smiling “I caught your fish.”
     “Uh, thank you.” I said trying hard to look casual.
     “Angus did say he was a fighter. I just didn’t think he still had it in him.”
     I tried to smile. “Thank you. Now, if you’ll excuse me I had better go.” He didn’t let go of the fish. “Look, I need to cook supper. Please give me the fish.”
     “A lady such as yourself shouldn’t have to wrestle a fish all the way home. Would you let me carry it?” His eyes sparkled. Did he ever ooze charm.
     “Ok.” I said before I realized what I was saying.
     We walked a block in silence. It was a combination of not knowing what to say and mentally reviewing all my body parts. Finally, I offered,
     “You live on the same block, I think?” Well, that was weak.
     “Yes, I’ve seen you. Strenburgers?”
     “Yes.” More Silence. I should just run. He probably knew all about Abigail. But he had my fish and man, up close he was really good looking. And not smelly at all.
     “We always go to the Lemon Fish on the same day. I’ve been meaning to talk to you for a while. I just never had an opening.”
     “Really? We do, I mean, you did...Really?” I closed my eyes, hoping he would stop looking. Now, this was why I was still single. And another good reason soon followed as I bumped into a low hanging branch and firmly fell on my butt.
     “Are you having a bad day or does this happen all the time?”
     “Yes. You should see my Monday body...covered in bruises. Friday body is usually fine.” I tried to pull myself up as gracefully as possible. Actually, there’s no graceful way to pull yourself off the sidewalk, but you might as well try.
     “You’re pretty funny you know. I wasn’t expecting that.” He smiled. I just stared at him in surprise as he leaned over to help me up. He had been thinking about me? I really hoped this wasn’t a set up, or worse pay back for Abigail’s peaking. It was nice to feel romance even if it was just for a second. I smiled. He smiled back. The world stopped. Actually, our feet must have moved for out of the corner of my eye I could see our street. I had to find a way to get the fish back before we got there. If Abigail saw me talking to him...I’d never hear the end of it. To my surprise it was Barney who stopped.
     “Here, Elisabeth. You’d better take this now.”
     “Oh, thank you.” I stared at the fish in my hands. That was remarkably easy. He paused.
     “I need to ask you something.” an urgent almost childlike look came over his face.
     “Anything!” I breathed. A second longer and I was going to fall into his arms like the cover of a Romance novel. Maybe a romance, fishing novel if there was such a thing. This had to end soon.
     “Please, tell me, how is Harvey? Is he going to get better?”
     I just stared at him. Like most of my romances this one appeared to be mostly in my head. But he was so earnest, and those eyes. Still it was obviously not me he was after... “No, Barney, he’s not. He has been going down hill for a while. I’m just there to see him through.”
     Those curious eyes fell, his voice grew quiet. “Then I must see you again.”
     What was that supposed to mean? Even if he didn’t like me it was cruelty to rub it in. “You don’t have to. I’ll be gone soon anyway.”
     “No.” He grasped my hand tightly. “I’ll need to see you. Tonight, could you get away tonight?”
     “I...I’ll try” I stuttered.
     “Please!” His eyes looked close to tears. Really, even if he did want me was it a good idea to get involved with someone possibly unstable?
     “I’ll try.” Who could resist. “Tonight at 10. Abigail watches Lost. I’ll sneak out.”
     “Thank you.” he said “Meet me at my door.”

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I laughed...I cried, it moved me, Bob. (Really, I just laughed...)

I'm really getting to the point where I don't like these small weekly installments. I want to read more, all at once, but I know you're kinda busy!! Thanks for writing this, I'm enjoying it a lot!

Hope all is well. I'll talk to you later.
Naomi