Thursday, February 02, 2006

Wednesday story continued

     A small tinkle cut through the cacophony. I set down my cup and quietly snuck off. Even though I was Harvey’s caregiver I rarely saw him alone. Abigail was constantly behind me re buttoning his shirt, cleaning invisible food from his mouth, or even finishing, and sometimes starting, his sentences. I liked Harvey though. He, as well as my dismal finances, kept me here, squarely under the thumb of Ms. Strenburger.
     “Elly,” his glittering eyes peered out from his shrinking features. “Water, please.” He always said please. I quickly poured him a glass and held it too his lips. It was the strangest thing but somehow, even with the water dripping down his chin, he reminded me of an elegant movie star. The man radiated charm.
     “Abigail?” he asked.
     “Discussing her project.”
     “Barney.” A strange sadness came over his face. He sighed. “Don’t be too hard on her, my dear. You don’t know...She’ll need you.”
     I grit my teeth and forced a smile. “Of course, Harvey.”
     He patted my hand then drifted back to sleep.
     “Elisabeth!” Abigail’s imperial voice severed the air from my lungs. She had that effect on people. Somehow, her small frame filled all the space in the doorway, a dazzling smile hung on her lips then quickly vanished.
     “Oh, he’s asleep again.” As though I had forced him into dream land.
     “Did he say anything?”
     “Asked for water.”
     “And...”
     “Uh...” I faltered, “Just water.”
     She gently brushed the hair off his face and ran her finger across his lips. I couldn’t help but watch.  How could such a crusty dragon could turn and look so sweet? I turned to leave and tripped slightly on the rug. Abigail glanced back and stood up with a start. She tucked him in fiercely. “No one does it quite like me.”

No comments: